CURRENT EVENTS WITH VFHS
We are thrilled to announce that our 2017 Conference will again be held at the DoubleTree Hotel in Charlottesville, VA on March 30 - April 1, 2017. Please mark your calendars now - you won't want to miss it. Keep an eye on our conference page for more details as they become available.
A special thank you to our 2016 & 2017 Host Organization!
Here is the September edition of the VFHS Quarterly Electronic Newsletter. Inside you will find the following articles: From the President, Conference, Membership, and Dog Licensing Study Group.
High Five VIRGINIA is a program dedicated to decreasing the euthanasia of adoptable animals in Virginia.
Learn more about this exciting new program here.
Exciting news from SpayVA:
We are happy to report that in 2015, $19,000 was awarded to 17 member organizations and 359 animals were spayed/neutered as a result.
Thanks to a few very generous donors, spay/neuter grant money in the amount of $19,500 was again awarded to qualified organizations at the end of the 2016 conference in Charlottesville.
The following outlines the guidelines for the program and for an organization to be eligible for funding:
- Organization is a 501c3.
- Organization is a Federation member in good standing (yearly dues paid and current application) and their organization serves the state of Virginia.
- Organization attends the conference and is present to receive funding awarded at the closing session of the conference.
- Funding covers spay/neuter surgeries only.
- Amount/animal is capped at $45.00 for a cat and $100.00 for a dog. If amount of surgery exceeds this per animal, organization must have the capacity to fund the remainder through co-pays or fundraising.
- Organization must provide a report of how money was spent as requested by the Federation.
- Monthly reports on how many animals were fixed will be required.
2016 Spay/Neuter Grants were awarded to the following VFHS member organizations:
- Alleghany Humane Society
Animal Resources of Tidewater
- Augusta Dog Adoptions
- Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue
Cat's Cradle of the Shenandoah Valley
Community Cat Advocats
Fairfax County Animal Advocates
- Fauquier SPCA
- Friends of Fairfax County Animal Shelter
- Friends of Russell County Animal Shelter
Hanover Humane Society
- Highland County Humane Society
- Humane Society of Shenandoah County
- Humane Society of Warren County
- Loudoun Community Cat Coalition
Martinsville-Henry County SPCA
Ring Dog Rescue
Second Chance Dog Rescue
Smyth County Humane Society
- SPCA of Pittsylvania County
- SPCA of Winchester, Frederick & Clarke Counties
- St Francis Humane Association
- The Mosby Foundation
- Twin County Humane Society
Virginia Kincheloe Spay/Neuter Clinic
- Voices for Animals
A huge thank you goes out to Tito's Handmade Vodka and Breakthru Beverage for partnering with SpayVA and for providing $10,000 in grant funds awarded at our conference to local rescues and animal shelters for spaying/neutering services. VodkaForDogPeople.com
CURRENT LEGISLATION - STAY INFORMED